Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Soul Shack.

The Soul Shack (Gino's)

I've just discovered an old stash of Mod/Ska fliers from over 20 years ago. Although I didn't find the entire collection, I still found some great ones to reminisce over. They were totally brittle and kinda moldy from being stored in a garage with a leaky roof.

These Soul Shack / Gino's fliers are quite possibly amongst the very first fliers I picked up when I got into the scene, and an outstanding icon of my whole experience. This had to be the perfect way to start this blog. My memory is totally fading...I'd thought lately that this club happened on Fridays instead of Saturdays. Nevertheless, it was the place to be back in the day.

Here's a few more:

soulshack2

ginos night club

That Daffy Duck is a pretty random element to the flier. And I wonder why the club was labeled as "Gino's II?"

4 comments:

  1. I just noticed that the second "Gino's" flyer ("The Soul Shack is back!") is actually not a Gino's flyer...it's for another club that was located on 6410 Hollywood Boulevard...can't remember for the life of me which club that was. Gino's was on Santa Monica and Vine of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was Gino's II cuz Gino's on Vine closed down for a long time (the impetus for the Long Beach club) and when it did reopen, it wasn't Bobby spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just saw this blog for the first time. Wanted to comment about Gino's. I hung out there some in the mid 70's when it was called Gino's Act II. It was a mostly gay teenage disco but played alot of Bowie. Cherrie Currie and Joan Jett and the other gals from The Runaways were known to hangout there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keri, I think that must be an entirely different club and crowd : )

    ReplyDelete